Gas leakage in Mettur; nine persons swoon
8 December 2007
METTUR: Nine persons swooned following a gas leakage from a chemical plant here on Friday morning.
The police said all of them were admitted to the Mettur District Headquarters hospital, of whom, two were discharged immediately after first aid.
Hospital sources said that the condition of the seven others was stable. The police said that the gas had leaked from a Chemplast Sanmar plant.
Cases were registered under sections 284 and 278 of Indian Penal Code. Investigation is on.
Chemplast Sanmar Limited in a press release said "minor leakage of chlorine" inside the plant had occurred when emergency power supply failed.
But as per the recordings of the monitors kept in the factory by the Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board, the leakage was minimal and not harmful, it added.
Fair Use Statement